ASSISTANT BREWER - COSTA MESA, CA
Location: Costa Mesa, California
Company: Gunwhale Ales (www.gunwhaleales.com)
Position: Assistant Brewer
Compensation: We offer salary commensurate with experience and paid vacation
Start Date: Jan 2018
- Cleaning kegs, tanks, and other miscellaneous equipment.
- Cleaning in place of bright tanks, fermenters, and all applicable equipment.
- Performing or assisting with packaging operations including keg filling and bottling.
- Transferring of beer to and from fermenters, bright tanks, oak barrels, etc.
- Receiving malt and other raw materials and storing properly.
- Taking daily gravity, pH, temperature, cell counts, and viability readings on all fermentors.
- Help ensure quality of product, in part by tasting raw materials, unfinished product, and finished product before it is released to identify for off flavors or process issues.
- Keeping production areas clean and organized at all times.
- Complete all assigned daily tasks in a timely and efficient manner.
- Ensure a safe and efficient production by strictly adhering to safety standards.
- Keep accurate records and reports.
- Have a work ethic second to none and eager to prove yourself
- Have a fervent love for the craft beer industry and/or homebrewing.
- Experience in a production brewery, especially in the cellar or brewhouse, is ideal but not necessary.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Basic understanding of cleaning and sanitation requirements in the food and beverage industry.
- Demonstrated passion for beer and brewing
- Organized and accurate record keeping.
- Ability to read indicators, gauges, and dials to make sure that equipment is working properly.
- Ability to frequently, and safely, lift heavy materials (up to 55 lbs) shoulder high.
- Requires working in a non-temperature controlled environment, handling of hazardous materials including chemicals, hot liquids, high voltage, compressed gases, pressurized vessels, and exposure to complex machinery.
- Ability or willingness to learn to drive a commercial van and/or small box truck.
- Ability to work in confined spaces and loud, noisy, slippery, hot, humid, and cold environments for extended periods of time.
- Ability or willingness to learn safe forklift operation.
- Ability to frequently stand, sit, squat, crouch, crawl and climb
- Must be flexible with your schedule (think weekends, late nights, etc)
This is a full-time position. Candidate must live in Orange County or is willing to relocate.
Gunwhale Ales is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates must pass a background check.
Please email a cover letter and resume, in PDF format only, to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Use "Assistant Brewer Position" in the subject line. We look forward to receiving your applications.
Gunwhale Ales is a production brewery, blendery and tasting room in Costa Mesa, California. We are seeking an assistant brewer to join our quickly expanding operation. Gunwhale Ales strike a balance between the raw, wild spirit of farmhouse brewing, and the pioneering hop forward styles of California. We have an obsession with yeast driven Saisons, hoppy IPAs, and other rustic, wild and sour beers. We value innovation as well as nuance and balance and simplicity. Gunwhale makes beers that reflect the culinary and cultural heritage of the West Coast.
Gunwhale is a company that has an engaging environment, a great culture, and looks to foster community around drinking beer. We are lean and dedicated, so the ideal candidate is a motivated self-starter, a hard-worker, creative, responsible, and has a dedication to learning. They should be able to work within a small team as well as feel comfortable and confident working alone. Due to our focus, they would ideally enjoy farmhouse beer styles. We also have a barrel program and foeder production under way.